Yet another thing that distinguishes Jonah from Owen is Jonah’s total refusal to talk on the phone. All requests are met with a ‘No, no, no, no, no, NO!’ and violent headshaking. All requests except from Buzz Lightyear, apparently. Jonah just spent 5 minutes talking with him, very fluently, in French. Sorry grandparents!
Eddy and I have managed, in the two children we have produced so far, to achieve absolutely no blending or mixing of culture, looks, personality whatsoever. Jonah is very much me: looks like me, likes to play on his own, stands back until he is really sure of a situation, huge fan of peanut butter and cornflakes. Owen, on the other hand, is a blue-eyed, pint-sized Eddy: outgoing, skateboarding, ready for anything at anytime. He also loves cheese, all kinds of cheese but really, the stinkier the better. His favorite? ‘Fockfort’. (He has a hard time saying ‘r’s… say it a few times and you’ll figure it out!).
I went to the hospital Tuesday to see the MD, and Wednesday to have another ultrasound. I happened to get an appointment with the one (very nice) MD who is *completely* opposed to homebirths. She compares them to driving on the highway at 250km/ hour without a seatbelt: sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it’s a disaster. I understand her perspective, and it actually makes me feel more confident with her advice.
She felt that my lab results were completely normal, and to make sure, handed me another slew of tests to do. We did a long monitoring of my blood pressure and the baby’s heartbeat, both of which were fine. Then Wednesday we did another ultrasound, during which she checked the baby’s growth (3kilos already! but only at 50-75% on the scale), the amniotic fluid, and my arteries, all of which were completely normal. She felt that my high blood pressure could have been due to being tired, but was nothing to worry about. Neither the baby nor I have any signs of hypertension, liver problems or gestational diabetes. Her advice? That I should not make any decisions about where to give birth based on these test results, which I read as her not wanting to give me the OK to have a homebirth, but having no medical reason to stop me.
So… more blood sucking today (to check for diabetes) and then appointments on Monday and Tuesday with my midwife and then a hospital midwife. Eddy is feeling a little more stress at the idea of a homebirth, so I still can’t say with certainty what will happen, but we have time to decide- nobody thinks this baby is coming early!